Welcome! Data from the Genioz study has informed the development of some community resources. They are designed to assist you in thinking about what is important to you if/when deciding to order a personal genomic test/online DNA test.
Online DNA tests (also known as personal genomic tests or direct-to-consumer tests) offer people information about their genetic make-up. Around 3000 Australians told Genioz researchers their views on these tests through focus groups, surveys, interviews and workshops.
In our workshops, Australians told us that the most important things to consider when ordering an online DNA test are:
- the accuracy of the test results and
- who could have access to the genetic information.
Other things that are important to consider include:
- whether the laboratory meets certain standards;
- the type of test (which parts and how much of the DNA is actually tested and the type of analysis that will be done); and
- how the results are returned.
Scroll down or click to read the following resources: